Friday, July 23, 2010

Cloth Diapers

BumGenius - our current diaper!
When I was pregnant with Mason I did lots of research on cloth diapers and hybrids. I even bought G diapers. But as a first time mom just leaving the house and diapering my kid in general seemed like a large task. So the environment had to suffer - because the thought of poop that I couldn't throw away was just too much.

When Wyatt was born I reconsidered my options. I realized that I was more organized and could handle the cloth. So we bought Bum Genius diapers. I have two different styles. One is called an all in one - it is sized to fit and has the cloth insert sewn in. It is very easy to use I never have to touch the wet cloth. However I have to buy specific diapers for both boys as they are not in the same size range. The second is one size fits all. This works well because it can go on both kids - but the inserts must be inserted by hand and pulled out when they are "ucky" as Mason says. So my current stash in 6 Large diapers for Mason 6 small diapers for Wyatt and 6 one sizes. Wyatt goes through the supply of his and the one sizes. I could probably use another set of 6 one size diapers. THat will have to wait until I go back to work.

Washing them is pretty easy, but to be fair I have an HE washer that is all high tech. I just push buttons and it will run 3 cycles for me. You need to pre-wash in cold to remove the solids, then you wash in Hot water with 1/3 as much detergent as suggested by manufacturer, and then you do an extra wash. Why you ask? because detergent build up will decrease absorbency of diapers. With my current supply of 18 diapers for two boys i need to wash them about every other day. If i bought more diapers then this would obviously decrease.

I am not full time cloth diapering. When we go out often I put the boys in disposables (we use Seventh Generation). Honestly it is because i haven't bought a wet bag for my diaper bag yet. Also it is because cloth diapers do need to be changed more often. And when Mason is at day care twice a week he uses disposables too. I also use disposables at night, to avoid leaks and waking kids.

Have you all caught on to Diapers.com? For my seventh generation they are about 30% off and I get free 2 day shipping. Can't beat that.

No comments: